Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) is one of the common and uncomplicated bacteria causing infection mostly seen common in women aged (18 to 24) Foxman and Buxton (2013) then in men. Research studies state that this bacterial infection begins in the urinary system and it is the 2nd most common infection after 'respiratory infection'.
The urinary tract consists of ureters, kidneys, urethra, and bladder. Infections can be caused either in the ‘lower urinary tracts’ consisting of urethra and bladder, or it can be caused in the kidneys and ureters in the upper urinary tract Geeta (2011).
Why Home remedies for UTI relief?
As Urinary tract infection is a common bacterial infection also known as UTI and usually, antibiotics are prescribed for the treatment of urinary tract infection. However, bacteria's are becoming antibiotic-resistant and there is a good chance of recurring infections.
It's important that we eliminate the bacteria completely and reduce the chances of recurrent UTI symptoms through the use of UTI home remedies, many of which don't require a prescription.
These 10 research based UTI remedies can be easily prepared at home by following the detailed directions listed below to quicken your recovery or even prevent them in the first place.
1. Parsley Water for Urinary Tract Infection Treatment
When your body suffers from UTI Symptoms such as:
- Urge to urinate all the time
- Lethargic feeling
- Fullness of Rectum
- Reddish urine
- Foul-smelling urine
Then you know that it is caused by bacterial strain Geeta (2011). In this case, Parsley is recommended as one of the beneficial herbs in treating UTI naturally. For the preparation of the first remedy to give you relief from UTI you need :
- 1 cup fresh parsley
- 2 cups of water
Follow the Directions to prepare your alternative UTI home treatment with Parsley Water:
- Boil 2 cups of water
- At the boiling point add fresh 1 cup parsley
- Reduce the heat and leave the water for 6-10 minutes on simmer.
- Strain the leaves out and drink the hot water
Bonus Tip: In summers you can refrigerate the water to cool and you can have it as iced tea after it has been refrigerated.
2. Celery Seeds Water fights fungal and bacterial urinary tract infection
Since years we know that the natural herbal medicine recommended have been known to fight bacterial infections and they are recommended than the conventional medicine.
Herbs such as celery seeds also play an important role in treating UTIs and work as effective as the over the counter conventional or traditional allopathic medication Geeta (2011).
Celery is diuretic and it is the constituent of butylphthalide and celery oil which is known to give relief from the bacteria.
In order to make the drink, you have to mostly follow the directions used for parsley water.
- Celery seeds (handful of them)
- 1 cup of water
- Bring 1 cup of water to Boil
- Add handful of celery seeds to the water
- Drain the water ( let it cool )
Bonus Tip: You can let the celery water to cool this time, it tastes much better if cooled. Celery water is evidently proven to be an effective treatment for UTI .
3. Cranberry – Evidence based Fighter for UTI
Cranberry is one of the most evidence based research fruit and studies conducted in the past discuss its usefulness in the fighting bacterium that causes (UTI) which are seen as hair like structures that cling on to the urethra region.
Cranberry juice consists of an acidic substance that causes the fimbria to become harder thus reducing the chances of contracting the infection and making it hard for the bacteria to multiply Guay 2009.
Additionally, the research states the efficacy of cranberry products been used extensively over the decades as a preventive strategy and alternative effective treatment for battling with many bacterial and fungal infections Guay 2009.
In order to use cranberry juice as an alternative medicine to heal bacterial infection kindly follow the process below:
- Blend it to make a juice (* Don’t use water at all)
- Use the real juice without loading any sugar into it
- Drink 8 ounces daily (three times)
Bonus Tip: Recommended dosage is 1-2 daily for minor infection.
4. Blueberry- Fimbria of the Bacteria
Let’s just say that the berry family is an effective alternative medicine to treat UTIs. Just like the cranberry, blueberry too can affect the fimbria of the ‘bacteria’ that attaches to the urinary tract.
Blueberry is very difficult to get and it’s not as easily accessible as the cranberry. However, it can be ordered online nowadays, or it can be found in an international market where you can get an easy access to this fruit.
- Two cups of fresh blueberries
Direction to consume them as medicine
- Blend berries to make juice which can be consumed three times a day
- Eat freshly washed berries at breakfast
Bonus Tip: You can add the fresh blue berries to your oatmeal that will also help you to have a healthy breakfast and will help you fight the UTI infection.
5. Water- The most effective Remedy for UTI
The best alternative treatment for any kind of disease or internal illness is drinking plenty of water which is accessible 24x7. UTI is a bacterial and fungi infection and it is easy for the population of bacteria or fungi to increase if the body isn’t hydrated.
Therefore one of the best alternative ways to eliminate the microbes from the system is through urine.
The research studies prove the importance of drinking plenty of water to bring out biochemical changes in the body that make it very easy to remove the (offending organisms).
Doctors have always recommended the importance of maintaining pH of urine as it can directly affect the urinary tract, therefore there have to be efforts made to alkalinize or acidify urine with the objective of treating bladder infection and kidney stones and the UTI’s.
Professor Henderson (Washington University School of Medicine) stressed the importance having pH of water closer to the urine to best fight the UTI’s .
- 3 liters of Water to be consumed daily to get rid of the unwanted microorganisms that harm your urinary tract.
- 1 liter of water can be taken in the Morning, Afternoon and Evening to balance the quantity of water needed to get rid of UTI.
Bonus Tip: Make sure to flush out your urinary system by urinating at frequent periods which will help you to get rid of the unwanted bacteria and fungus.
6. Vitamin C- Protection against Bacteria and Fungus
Studies have shown that vitamin C helps in protecting against harmful bacteria and fungus that is caused in urethra region. Vitamin C works mechanically by increasing the ‘acidity’ in the urine which helps in killing the unwanted bacteria that causes the infection.
In a study conducted in the year 2007, it was said that pregnant women who are prone to get infected for the UTI were recommended to take 100 mg of ‘Vitamin C’ everyday Hickling and Nitti 2013.
In yet another study; behavioral factors were studied of those with the risks of UTI’s and it was noticed that the vitamin C intake helped the risks prone patients to decrease the chances of getting UTI Foxman and Chii 1990.
- Red Pepper
- Oranges or Kiwi Fruit
- One serving of Oranges for Breakfast
- One serving of Grapefruit at Lunch
- One serving of Red Peppers for Dinner National Institutes of Health
Bonus Tip: One serving is equivalent to one small bowl; you can divide the servings of vitamin C proportionately throughout the day. You can choose either of the fruit or the vegetable mentioned as a serving before the meals or you can take them as a snack.
7. Probiotics- Combat Bacteria in the Gut System
Research studies have studied the effects of ‘Probiotics’ in treating or combating the bad bacteria in the gut system.
Probiotics are basically ‘fermented foods’ such as kombucha, kimchi, kefir and probiotic yogurt. It is said that the probiotics not only improve the digestive system but it enhances the immune function thus decreasing the risks of Urinary tract infections Ritchie and Romanuk 2012.
Additionally, according to the studies, it is also found that ‘Lactobacillus’ is actually a (Probiotic strain) and it helps prevent the eruption of Urinary tract infections in adult women PM et al 2013.
- One bowl of kombucha, kimchi, kefir, or probiotic yogurt
Consume one bowl of either of the Probiotics mostly in the afternoon once a day.
Bonus Tip: Kindly follow the recipes of Probiotics so you can make them at home rather than buy the ready to consume Probiotics from the store.
8. Kefir to fight the Bacteria in Urethra
For the preparation of Kefir, you need:
- A non-metal utensil (stirring utensil)
- A glass jar
- A tightly woven towel, paper coffee filter, butter muslin
- A band to cover or can the jar ring
- Mesh plastic strainer to remove the kefir grains
- 2 teaspoons of active (Milk Kefir Grains)
- Goat or Cow Milk
- Kefir grains to be transferred to four cups of fresh milk
- Cover it with butter muslin or paper coffee filter and secure it with a jar ring or a rubber band
- Place it in a spot with a temperature of 68-85 degree Fahrenheit to (culture)
- Culture the mixture till the milk is thickened and the aroma is pleasant. The process should take around twenty-four hours at the most, and in warm temperatures lesser than that. It is important to keep an eye on the grains
- After you notice a change in the texture of the milk, and then you assume that the culture is complete, you can separate the kefir grains using a drain cloth from the finished product of kefir.
- You can place the kefir grains to the new batch of milk if you wish
- This mixture can be stored in the refrigerator Cultures of Health.
9. Kombucha Tea- Probiotic Drink used as an alternative remedy for UTI
For Kombucha Tea, you will need:
- Wooden stirring utensil
- Quarter Size Glass Jar
- Paper Coffee Filter
- Canning Jar ring or Rubber band to secure the Jar
- Starter Tea
- Loose Tea
- White Sugar
- Unchlorinated or Unfluoridated Water
- Kombucha Scoby
- Sugar and hot water should be combined in a glass jar till the sugar is completely dissolved in the water. The water should be hot to ‘steep’ the tea. (Tip: make sure it is not boiling hot water)
- Place the tea bags in the sugar water to (steep)
- Cool the mixture at a temperature of 68-85 degree F. The tea may be removed after the fifteen minutes of cooling. The longer the tea is left in the jar, the stronger it will be.
- The tea bags can be removed from the liquid now.
- Distilled white vinegar or starter tea can be added to the batch of the liquid
- Add the active ‘Kombucha Scoby’.
- The jar of the tea needs to be now covered with a paper towel or coffee filter using a rubber band
- Allow the mixture undisturbed and out of direct sunlight within the temperature of 68-85 degree F for around seven to thirty days. The longer the Kombucha ferments the more vinegary it will taste.
- Now the finished kombucha can be bottled and it can be enjoyed plain Cultures of Health.
10. Kimchi – Combatter for UTI
Kimchi is technically a Korean dish also said to be a great fighter for UTI. Though Kimchi is originated in Korea it is now enjoyed globally and it is often accompanied as a condiment in most dishes.
Additionally, it is very healthy and can be consumed with any of your meals.
As Kimchi is a very long recipe, Here is the YouTube video to prepare Kimchi:
It can be said that alternative remedies overpower conventional over the counter drugs in many ways.
Urinary tract infection home remedies are empowering as not only they are natural but also they provide long term and permanent UTI relief unlike conventional medicine which are prescribed to be taken for the duration of time, and they do not give a guarantee of permanently disabling the harmful bacteria or fungus.
The natural remedies for uti discussed in this article are effective because of the studies that have authenticated the use of the alternative home remedies as a quickest and safest mode of treatment which can be easily trusted.
With the changing times, it has become important to start depending on the home remedies and the ingredients easily available to heal any kind of bacterial or fungal infection Mansour et al 2014.
Help us to make the list longer and share your ideas with us in the comment section below. Let us know if it works for you or not. Please show us your support by sharing if you find any takeaway message from the list.